There are a lot of interesting animal shelter volunteer projects in the USA and many of them are free! Even if I haven’t participated in an American shelter volunteer program it is definitely on my to do list.
I want to focus on the biggest no-kill animal shelter in the USA – The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah, Kanab.
How can I help?
The shelter is divided into different areas and you can volunteer in any of them: Dogtown, Cat World, Horse Heaven, Bunny House, Parrot Garden, Wild Friends und Marshall’s Piggy Paradise. I will focus on the Dogtown area for this blog post.
- Cleaning the shelters
- Walking the dogs
- Taking care of the trails
- Watering the doggy pools
How much does it cost?
The project is free, but you will have to pay for your own accommodation, food and transportation. Here is a list of expected cost, but of course this is very individual:
- Accommodation for two weeks: 326-700 € (THE COWBOY BUNKHOUS/ The Launch #6 / Quality Inn)
- Rental car for two weeks: 500-600 €
- Food for two weeks: 500-600 €
What to expect?
Take a look at a very un-touristy part of the USA, close to a lot of national parks: Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Arches National Park and so on.
How do I get there?
Via Las Vegas
Sadly there is no way you can get to Kanab via public transportation, so a car is a must. It will take you about 3,5 hours from Las Vegas airport to the shelter.
Via Salt Lake City:
The same goes for Salt Lake City, it will take about 5 hours to get there from Salt Lake City airport to Kanab by car.
Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, Utah 84741-5000
Other animal shelter projects in the USA:
- Pound Puppy Hike – Red Mountain Resort, Utah
- Hawaii Island Humane Society
- Kauai Humane Society
- Rainbow Friends Animal Sanctuary
- Maui Humane Society
- Maxfund Animal Adoption Center – Denver, Colo.
- The Hermitage No-Kill Cat Shelter & Sanctuary – Tucson, Ariz.
- Operation Kindness – Carrollton, Texas
- PAWS (Pets Are Worth Saving) – Chicago, Ill.